Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Brainwashed O_o

http://changethis.com/manifesto/66.01.Brainwashed/pdf/66.01.Brainwashed.pdf
Layer #1: Acknowledging the Lizard

The ‘Lizard Brain’, as it is referred to here, is the part of the human brain that worries about one’s safety and it often prevents one from making decisions or taking actions that risks one to being ridiculed or otherwise laughed at, and because of this it often takes steps to shut down one’s artistic side to avoid potential ridicule.  This shutdown is referred to as the little voice in your head that simply wants you to follow instructions and often keep your head down, and is known as ‘the resistance’.  The artist however, recognizes that ‘the resistance’ is the main barrier between them and their art and are able to acknowledge and overrule it.

#2 Connect:
            Social Media can be best described as a waste of effort, or a possible way to reach out and connect with the world, depending on how you look at it.  If you’re more interested in amount of comments or your online footprint then you are most likely wasting your time.  If you’re utilizing a medium like digital media you can potentially exploit today’s connectivity gain insights or to reach out and touch someone then you could be opening yourself to future possibilities.  For example, Shepard Fairey made the now widely famous poster of Barack Obama as a freely shared icon, which spread rapidly across the internet, and while he didn’t make any profit off of it he certainly got his image and name out into the world and opened up new connections.  The new future is more connected than ever and opens up all kinds of new possibilities and potential connections in the world, potentially changing everything.

With this current blog I can safely say that both of these layers really are quite connected and are quite relevant to what I’ve been doing.  In terms of ‘the lizard brain’ I would say that concept is most notable in the audio assignments where one’s actual voice can be heard and where I most freeze up and find myself uncertain.  For me speaking is a more difficult median to carry through where I cannot really go over and proofread my own words but rather can only practice and hope for the best and try to push past my nervousness and break through my own ‘resistance’.  For me writing is different, where in these written blogs I can go over and see what I have said and see if what I have put down makes sense to me and whether I can clearly carry my message.
With the ‘connect’ layer this blog can definitely be related to it as this form of social media is, in some ways, less about how many posts or responses you might get but rather what kind of connections can you make with your thoughts and ideas, and what kind of impact can you make on someone who might be reading.  It utilizes this new age of connectivity and really lets one go out there and put out there thoughts and ideas and really hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment