Monday, January 17, 2011

Inspiration on Demand?


Who influences me?  So many ways I feel I can answer this question, so many aspects of my life I could take a look at for inspiration, but who really inspires me?  At least creatively that is.  Well really to me a number of different people do but I suppose that list can indeed be narrowed down to three cases in particular.
                To start off with, the most influential graphic designer for me would be Daniel Luvisi, of whom I am a huge fan of his artistic style.  From his homage’s to some of my favorite pieces of media, namely Aliens  and his portrait of Boba Fett, to the very recent creation of his soon-to-be-released graphic novel series, Last Man Standing. 



  This series holds a lot of promise and I am already very impressed with the character development and unique artistic stylings of the characters.  In this case I would like to put some focus on his latest of projects, the Last Man Standing series of which so far only a prologue to the three graphic novels has been released, Killbook of a Bounty Hunter.  To put this project in a little perspective and to give one an idea of the potential held by this series, when the series was first revealed and went public at Comic Con 2010 it immediately sold out within two hours of its unveiling and the rights for a movie were quickly purchased by Paramount pictures shortly after the unveiling.  In any case I feel that Daniel has been very successful in his artwork and does a masterful job at taking these characters and ideas in his head and ‘putting them down on paper’ (you know, via computer) and making them come to life, complete with a whole unique plot and story line to match.  In terms of the binary terms we have learned he has certainly done a pretty good job at utilizing them in his work.  Noticeably he has taken advantage of his character creation in terms of Contrast and Affinity, from the fairly harmless ‘Bonnie’ to the psychotic ‘Matyr’ and the mysterious and seemingly awe-inspiring main character, ‘Gabriel’.
Some examples of what I mean in terms of character contrast:
He also does a lot of Objective and Subjective work in his art as well, leaving much of each character’s personality and mindset up to the readers to decide, mainly focusing on laying down each one’s back-story.  In his own way too, Daniel manages a nice job through inspiring Didactic and Active information gathering in his readers and viewers.  While providing some back stories for his characters, viewers are again left to their own devices in finding each character’s motives and finding the whole path that lead them to the confrontations and organizations they are in presently.  I personally feel that these phrases in particular apply to nearly all of the given characters but from what I have read about them thus far they particularly apply to the characters known as Bonnie and Clyde, Abaddon, and Dante for whom very little backstory is provided and much is left up to viewers imaginations.  All in all I am very impressed with what this artist has done, with him having worked solo on the artwork and backing story, creating this world for himself, something I think would be awesome to be able to do someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment